What’s hapnin!?
Yeah, I was just thinking earlier today about it being the end of
summer and the start of fall! I can’t believe that General Conference is only a
month away. I was thinking back to it last year, and it was cold over there in
Mississippi. I don’t know if it will be as cold this year, but who knows!
Anyways, I have survived this summer --- so far, so good. I hope I can make it
the rest of the way! We got a little bit of rain from Isaac; no wind, and just
some tornado warnings in like Tuscaloosa county. All is well in Birmingham.
Sorry I didn’t email yesterday! Usually we just wait til Tuesday to
do it when Monday is a holiday, but President told me to just use a member’s
computer from now on if the library is closed. We just had our Zone Leaders
Council meeting end about an hour ago --- we learned a ton and got to decide a
lot for the mission. We are going to the temple again this month! I am very
excited about that. Elder Koelliker, the General Authority who was
visiting from church headquarters, told President that we aren’t going
enough :) So that is good for me.
And yes mama, I am living with Elder Ingersoll and Elder Thurston.
Elder Ingersoll just hit his 9 month mark last week ... are you kidding me????
I can’t believe it has already been that long. I just finished training him
when I hit MY 9 month mark. And traveling to and from Cahaba Heights
isn’t too bad. It does take an hour out of our day, but it’s a good time for us
to talk about the work and stuff. Elder Ojelade is having a rough time sleeping
lately. I think the stress of the work lately has been getting to him. So pray
for him if y’all could. He hasn’t had much energy lately, but we are still
doing our best and seeing miracles happen left and right. We just got word from
President today that we are to start looking for an apartment to live in. None
of the members were able to have us live in their house. But it’s all good. Now that
we are in the branch only, instead of dividing our time between the branch and
the ward, we can focus on their needs and building better relationships with
them. And this last week we have really been able to do that. We were able to
go to our first Branch Council, and we had a bunch of reports to give them and
they got so pumped to hear about all the work we are doing. I also learned a
lot from them as they shared what their goals are and what they are
worried about. It’s good to see how we can help them, because that is why we are
put here into the wards and branches. To be a blessing to the members and build
their faith as we do missionary work. And so we will be looking for an
apartment as we bike around, and we have a ton of member lessons planned for
this week to build their confidence in us.
We had one lesson that built the faith of about 5 members! We have a
new investigator named Jane who we are working with. We met her about 2 months
ago by Regina’s house. She was looking for an apartment so we started talking
to her, but she wasn’t too interested, and nothing really came from it. We
texted her every once in a while to see how she was doing, but never usually
got a legit response from her. Then last Monday she shot us a text and said she
is having a really rough time and wants us to teach her. So we met her at
Chick-fil-a and had a really good lesson with her. Then we planned to have
another lesson with her on Thursday. She told us she knew Sam, so we set it up
so that Sam would be there. And we decided to have a church tour. We had
our ward mission leader come out, and about 4 of the young single adults. The
church tour was amazing!!!!!!!!! Everyone participated and Jane asked a ton of
questions. It took almost 2 hours! But after it was over, we left and Jane
stayed to talk with the young single adults for a while. Later that night, we
got a text from everyone there telling us thanks for inviting them, and that
they felt the spirit so strong. And the next morning Jane texted us, saying she
felt a part of a family the night before and it left a huge impact on her. She
said she woke up feeling serene and peaceful. So it was awesome. And after
the branch heard all of that, and how Jane has a baptismal date, they got
pumped! Jane gave us a thank-you card and said that it’s just the little
things, like showing that we care, that made all of the difference. It was a
good experience for me. And I hope it continues to go as well as it is. Pray
for her as well.
But as good as it is to have all of this going, it’s a bummer that
we had to leave behind all of our investigators we were working with in the
ward. We will still stay in contact with them and help the other elders teach
them, but it won’t be the same. But it is all good. There is work to do.
Also, it is good to hear that the high priests in your ward are
gung-ho about missionary work! That is how it should be. Missionary work is the
best. The Reynolds are going to be doing another mission?? That’s what I’m
talking about! And you have a senior couple in the ward? I love senior couples
so much. Ever since I have been a zone leader, I have fallen in love with them.
They are so funny, and add so much to the mission. Elder and Sister May used to
live right by us, and I loved going and seeing them. She was the nurse, too, so
she helped me when I had that horrible experience of 8 days of diarrhea ;) she
had my back.
And I can’t believe that all of the neighborhood kids are growing
up! Nick is a junior?? Are you serious? Wow ... crazy. And Amanda is learning
how to drive? How long have I been gone????? But that is good to hear. I am
glad that everyone is doing well. Good to hear that people still haven’t
forgotten about me, either.
You haven’t heard from Zac since he left back home to Arizona?
What’s up with that? I'll have to write him ASAP. What is Reel FX? And why does
Lauren want to work there? You need to tell that butt to email me sometime. I
haven’t heard from her in months! And the last thing she asked me was, "do
converts still have a residue of their former religion" or something like
that. Tell her to email me now. And tell her to tell her roommates to
stop arguing. That is totally awkward and funny. I would love to watch them
argue until I needed to concentrate or something. Then it wouldn’t be so funny.
But Lauren will be able to deal with it.
What does my missionary board at church look like, now that it is
redone? Does Jackie put good pictures up of me?? I gotta be looking good for
the Los Alamitos Ward! And I am so glad that the Elder Oppenlander Club is
growing in size :) It’s always good to hear that you’re loved. It can make the
difference between a good day and a bad day. And I think that is why I always
have good days!!! Haha I know that I am loved by a ton of people. One thing Elder
Koelliker said that really stuck out to me is, "you can expect success
more now than ever. Never again in your life will you have so many people
praying for you. Your ward back home, every temple, friends, family, other
missionaries." And that is so true. I know how many people care about me
and are praying for me, and it gives me the strength to go do what I gotta do.
I’m definitely not doing this alone, it’s no big deal. So yeah, I am happy and
healthy and loving it. It is not anywhere near perfect, but I wouldn’t want it
any other way. It’s all good out here in the 205.
I don’t even know what else happened this week. It has been great
though. I also think I have some pics for you, so I will send those.
Love y’all! Hope you have a good week.
Elder Oppenlander
No comments:
Post a Comment