Monday, September 24, 2012

Living in Vestavia Hills!


What’s happenin’?
I’m glad y’all got my new address! I love it here so much it’s not even funny! That gym has been hit up the last 3 days and I’m sore ;) It’s the best to be sore for a good reason. Also, its way better being this close to the church and being able to just walk around the hood and find people to do service for and teach. And the temple was amazing! I got some good pics too, so I’ll send those to ya.
And the sisters told me they sent something to Jackie, and they want to know what she thinks about it. So what did she think?? Haha And I got the old letter from Elder Ingersoll on Friday. It was a really good one! So tell Jackie thanks :) I’m glad everyone liked the story about my talent show, and what is the TV interview like? Did ABC do a good job or just mess with it? And they had my cute face on there? Sweet! I’m famous haha.
And Mom, I’m pretty sure you told me some of those Creighton stories last week ... they are still funny, though. That kid sounds like he is going to be a handful. And you do not need to send me any decorations for Halloween. Maybe a lil candy :) with some healthy power bars or something, though. And look for this powerbar by Odwalla called "superfood" and it is green ... you sent me one once before and it was  amazing haha. All I need is food and I’ll be a happy camper. With moving and all of that, our money is gone for the month. So we are scrounging (I think that’s how you spell it) up all of our leftovers so we won’t be hungry the rest of the month haha. We are good though, we have plenty of pasta and stuff we have never made.
And that is a shame that Lauren broke her glasses on her fall. She must have hit pretty hard! Ouch! By the way, speaking of glasses, I am getting my sunglasses fixed today at Sunglass Hut. I’m pumped about that.
But really, this week has just been busy and good. Found out that 3 of our investigators in the ward are getting baptized, and one of them wants me to baptize him :) I’m excited about that! And Brother Dean should be going to the temple this Friday and getting baptized for a member of his family. Also, I went on exchanges again with the assistants, and I went out with Elder Sawyer. It was my first time working with him, and it was so good. I killed him biking the hills around here, and we were able to meet a lot of new people. We have been getting a lot closer to the members of the branch lately too. We are able to spend some time with them, and on Saturday we went over to the Sadler’s house and it was hilarious! They were watching the Alabama game, so we helped Sis. Sadler get her mormon.org profile up. Y’all need to make one! And as we were doing that, Bro Sadler was freaking out haha. He was on the ground, on his knees, yelling at the TV screen haha It was amazing. True Alabama fan right there. They got hot wings for us and made an amazing peanut butter oreo pie thing. So good. Sister Sadler is so funny. Then we went over to the Baker’s and had a lesson with them as well. There are tons of sweet families in the branch. I love it here.
 Oh!!!!!! And our investigator Jane's parents said they would take us golfing at Vestavia Hills Country Club!!!! I’m so excited about that. I’m going to make sure that happens before I leave. We went to a garage sale on Saturday and I bought a sweet golf shirt for 1 dollar. It is like salmon pink and it’s from this famous golf course called "Shoal Creek" or something like that. And the dude we bought it from ended up inviting us in and we taught him and his family about the plan of salvation. It was cool, and right after that we were walking to the Sadler’s and saw this moving van, and only one guy. He says he doesn’t need any help, but I persist, and he lets us. This van is packed with stuff, and it was only him and his wife moving it. After we were done, we got talking to him and he is the Old Testament and Hebrew professor at Samford University, right by our house. That was cool and he invited us to his Hebrew classes. I might have to go to that! Also met the mayor of Vestavia Hills, he is a less active member! Who would have thought!? So we have been busy over here trying to find people to teach, and to be out and about doing some good for the people here. I have really enjoyed myself and have y’all ever heard of the book "Biblical Mormonism”?? A member of my branch wrote it, and it’s supposedly super popular. This Baptist school by our house has to read it and study it before they can get their ministerial license. But the author, Bro. Hopkins, is in the branch and he had a stroke and can no longer talk. I wish he could!!!! He would have so much knowledge up in that head of his!  Man, but he is a good guy and we are helping him clean out his garage today at 2. His wife is super nice too, and loves to brag about him haha.
That’s about all the news I have for y’all. If you hurry, you can ask me a question or two before I get off the computer. I'll send some pics. In the picture ... my hands look all grody and nasty. Those calluses are from biking and working out. They aren’t too gross, though. Just wanted to let you know about ‘em ;) 
Love y’all,
Elder Oppenlander

No comments:

Post a Comment