Yo yo yo,
How is it going? That is funny that you saw me
on TV haha. Beautiful!! Was it a legit shot, or just like the side of my face? I
didn’t get to see it, so you'll have to paint me a mental picture. My week was
crazy! Driving to Hoover last minute to get on TV, our trunk broke on the car
so we had to drive to Hoover again to get it fixed, and then I got Chipotle :) And
best of all, I embarrassed myself in front of the entire branch ... haha. Let’s
just say I signed up for the talent show last week, and we were so busy we didn’t
have time to prepare anything. So we show up to the chili cook off/talent show
and we judge the chili, and then the talent starts. By the way, the whole week
we were stressing out on what we should do and nothing felt right. We were
going to sing a hymn, but that is lame. Then members of the branch said we
should mime ... but we are horrible at that haha. So we sat there stressing out
and all of a sudden it came to me. So we went to our branch president and asked
him to download the instrumental version of YMCA. We get on stage, the suspense
was so thick you could have cut it with a knife. I grab the mic ... and say
"so we have been to y’alls house's sharing messages with you, and today we
are going to share another message with you ... but in a different way.
Enjoy...." and we go behind the stage curtain, cue the music to start and
the curtain opens haha. We have our backs to the crowd and we are just like
snapping our fingers to the music hahaha. And when it’s supposed to say
"young man" in the legit song, I go up grab the mic and say
"mormon" haha. After that, life was a blurr. All I know is that we
freestlyed a mormon missionary/ mormon.org version of YMCA. And instead of
making a YMCA with our arms we made a LDS and M.ORG haha. We took turns singing and dancing,
and for the grand finale we made it rain mormon.org cards on the crowd haha. It was
super embarrassing, but it’s all good. The gospel was shared that night. A
member of the branch came up to us afterward and said "I could tell y’all
used to party before your missions" hahaha Elder Ojelade and I were
laughing so hard! Good stuff!!!! We deff earned some respect from the branch
that night. Not every missionary would step up to the plate like that and just
deliver! And now i want to see the recording of it ... I’m kind of scared to,
though.
So yeah, my week was good haha. Sounds like you
had a much better week up there in Utah! Seeing all the family and touring the new
Brigham City temple. That is sweet! I am so excited to go to the temple this Wednesday!!!
Gonna be the best. Have y’all heard anything about Lauren’s job application to
that place in Dallas? And what comic book is she working on? That is exciting.
Sounds like Logan, Creighton, and Autumn are
turning into fun kids haha. Autumn looks huge in the picture you sent me! How
old is she nowadays? And when are Allison’s parents moving to Utah?
And I can’t believe Austin Bakker had his
farewell talk. That is sweet he is going to dangerous cities! They are the most
fun haha. You get to meet some exciting people. And Tyler and Trevor live in
the ward boundaries again???? What?!! Shoot, I hope they are still there when I
get home. I haven’t seen them in like 6 years. What did they look like?
Things here are going great. We found an
apartment like a mile from the church so that is good, and we should be able to
move in after our temple trip on Wednesday. So, only a little while longer of
driving all over the place. Jane is still doing pretty well, she is struggling
a lot with other things outside of church so we are just trying to be as big a
help as we can be. And we have been able to meet other people as well. We went
tracting yesterday and met around 8 new people to teach. It was a good feeling
to talk to strangers again, as weird as that sounds. We did a lot of running
around this week, so I enjoyed just getting to work. I can’t wait till we
actually live in our area. Also, one of our investigators we had back in the ward
got baptized last Saturday. Her name is Kiki, and about 3 others we were
teaching have baptismal dates for this month :) so Birmingham is doing great!
It is still fun to be a missionary and I will send y’all some pics!
Gots to go!! Y’all have a good week and I will
be praying for you! Thank you so much for sending me on a mission. It is the
best experience for me ever! I'll let you know when I move and send you the new
address. Talk to you soon. Love you!
Peace, love, chicken grease,
Elder Oppenlander
No comments:
Post a Comment