Monday, August 1, 2011

Week #8 - August 1, 2011

Mom and Dad!
What's up with the Oppenlanders nowadays? Man my stomach kills right now! Had some chic-fila and a peach milkshake ... it was wack! Hurt my stomach so bad! But yeah just had to say that. Anywaysss. I just picked up the package like 20 mins ago. I was supposed to get it Saturday but no one was home when they dropped it off, so they took it back to the post office and I had to get it today.

Earlier this morning I went to a veterans museum and it was tight! Guns, and knives, and tanks, and helicopters and what not. Way cool. I took a bunch of pics but I forgot to bring my camera in the library. Whatever though youll see it someday.

This week has been soo hard oh my goodness. Weather was all over the place and people were bailing on our appointments and it seemed like every house we went to either had no one home or someone that woke up on the wrong side of the bed haha. I got told I belonged to a cult a bunch, and that I'm hypnotized.That was a first for me and Elder Lofthouse. So we were doing good finding the suckers this week haha. Its so funny that religion brings the best and WORST out of people. Kind of sad though. What's cool about the mission though, is I could be having the hardest day, people yelling at me and no success, come home and be happy!! It's weird haha. I feel like I'm crazy. But its just so fullfilling teaching the gospel and every time I'm yelled at it just strengthens my own testimony.

So I'm stilll loving being a missionary for sure. Nothing better I could be doing right now. This is going to help me out in life in so many ways. Gonna be a master at patience and love and knowing my bible and what not. I'm excited to keep progressing. one thing that popped up alot this week though was faith and works. THE MOST ANNOYING THING TO TALK ABOUT EVER! No joke ... people think they just have to confess their sins and theyre "saved". Doesn't make sense to me but you can't just argue with them. It goes nowhere and just wastes our time really. But Elder Lofthouse and I figured out why they're all so confused. We went through the bible to see how many times Jesus himself talks about salvation and how to get it ... it was barely any! You could see how so much got taken out during reformation and stuff. So I felt really good to know that the book of mormon covers those things so I don't have the same confusion as alot of people out here do. Because the b.o .m talks about it a bunch in detail. But yeah this week has been hard but we've pushed through and have never given up. So I'm proud of us so far.

One of the Dobards is going to Africa?? That's tight! And I'm excited for Devan to see where he goes! Keep me informed on all of that. And tell JT he's a punk!! He never wrote me once --- he's a loser haha. And I know it's crazy that the Baldwins are in AZ now! I got letters from Zac, Ian, and Kennady so I'll write them today and see how everyting is going and if they're getting used to it yet. It's way weird that they moved though.

The guy I was sitting with in church yesterday didn't want to move up after sacrament, so I sat in the same exact spot all three hours. I was so over it I just wanted to go home and eat haha. Bishop gave a good lil talk on Zion's Camp though. Never even heard about it til then. Bishop H is such a good guy. Talked to us just walking around and he just is so sincere and comfortable talking .. .half of the ward is related to him but still ... a good guy. Felt like a Family Home Evening.

And what's up with my grandparents all falling apart? Tell them to quit it --- geez! As soon as I leave everyone can't do anything right haha. What's going on with you and dad? Are you bored at home doing nothing 24/7? Get a dog!! haha Pick up a hobby or something and tell me about it. You have the most boring life ever hahaha. Is Lauren coming home this week for the wedding? She didn't email me either so forget her. I'll have her wait a week to get an email from me. Actually I'll probably email her to cheer her up or something. I don't know, I'll figure it out. I'mm im trying to remember all that happened this week .... tracted some crazy streets where if i had my skateboard, I seriously would have went out of my way to ride down it! There's this one street called Hemlock and its amazing. all in the woods with trees lining both sides. I took some pics of it so I'll go grab my camera real quick! Hold on... ok I got it. I'll put them on another email ::) And i went seriously 50 mph on my bike down Mountain Gap Road. it was on our way home at night like 9:00 and I started going down and pedalled as fast as I could and I was passing cars driving down it. Sooo fun. I was laughing and I think I'm crazy nowadays. Really normal things excite me and make me laugh. The other day I was just standing there next to my bike and fell down. I was like, are you serious? What's going on with me? Then one of the members kids had a bonnet on and we talked to him for like 10 minutes. After he left, Elder Lofthouse said "Bro, she had a bonnet on ..." and we started busting up laughing for no reason and I couldn't stop for like 10 minutes! And the reason he said bro is because I told him about dude bro and we said bro like every sentece as we were tracting. When there is nothing to do we just try to memorize scriptures and do something interesting. And that equaled saying bro a lot this week. We're such losers ....

I went on exchanges this week with Elder Larsen. 24 hour companion change to learn from someone else and see how they teach, pretty much. I did way good teaching all the lessons and taking charge in tracting. I felt really good about my progress : )

Anyways, thanks for sending the package and I'll upload some pics.
Love you!!!

Elder Oppenlander



No comments:

Post a Comment