Monday, August 22, 2011

1st Week in Columbus Mississippi

Hey Hey!!

How’s it going?! Yeah I’m in Columbus Mississippi Ward now. But my area covers a couple of cities all around Columbus. It’s definitely different than Huntsville haha. A lot more area to cover and a lot more diversity. Some areas are way country, some way city, and huge houses and housing projects haha. So I have a little bit of everything out here. Definitely a lot more blacks here than Huntsville haha I love it! ; ) The first day was a shocker for me. I was talking to this black lady and I had no idea what the freak she was saying haha. Talking so fast and quiet I was like uhhhh what did you just say haha? I have the hang of it now though. But yeah, way different. Way ghetto and cars with 26 inch rims everywhere.

We still bike everywhere and my new companion, Elder Holley, is so slow on the bike. He’s different from Elder Lofthouse and the exact opposite from me. So its been frustrating big-time lately. But its alright. It’s all good. He just gets mad over a lot of stuff. Like yesterday he got mad at me because I wanted to pray before we left the apartment and we had just prayed like 5 minutes earlier. He said he feels like I’m trying to prove how righteous I am??? So little things like that have been going on this last week. And I definitely feel like I’m put with him to chill him out a little bit and for me to develop better patience. Which I have haha. I still need to get better at it and keeping a good attitude, but I’m working on it.

Elder Holley is a great guy though just not as strong in some areas as others might be. He’s a hard worker and keeps pushing forward even when he’s frustrated though. So he’s a good example to me in that way. He also helps me wake up on time and we go running every morning. So I’m happy about that. It’s just going to take some getting used to and a lot of prayer to see how I can help him out the most I can and be the best companion.

The work here has been so slow. Last two days we've knocked like 500 doors and only got like 2 lessons... a lot of people just proving how they already have all the truth they need. So I’m pretty frustrated lately and I’m sure that’s rubbing off on Elder Holley haha. I love Columbus though and I’m trying to get used to the new area and learn where everything is, which is way hard because we keep going all over. The ward here is pretty small, about 120 people. They are way nice though and a couple Elder Lofthouse found here about 3 months ago just got baptized so it’s cool seeing how people progress even after you leave an area. Elder Lofthouse served here right before he trained me.

Elder Holley is from Utah, Pleasant Valley or something. He doesn’t do any sports, he has like 9 brothers and 1 sister, never been on a date in his life, and he fenced...other than that he’s just geeky haha. I love him though and he'll make me a better missionary. So I’m looking forward to this transfer.

Man sounds like you guys had a full day of wedding stuff. That’s awesome that Laura is officially married! Is Lauren freaking out about getting a new roommate or is she just whatever about it? That’s good that Jackie and Nicole are busy getting money haha. How did she do Lauren’s hair? The same as last time or what? Did she like the pocket watch I got her? How is it being all-together and not having me there? Probably relaxing haha. Dang! JT sounds like he’s almost ready to get his call! That’s awesome!!! Zac needs to step it up, can’t let JT beat him like that. I’m glad to hear that your headaches are way better and that dad is going to go back to school haha. This guy in my ward, Bro. Pierce is a chemical engineer and said to tell dad " you can’t spell geek without Double E." referring to electrical engineer or something. I don’t know, he’s funny haha.

The people in Mississippi are way nicer than people in Alabama haha. I love it here --- its rural, city, ghetto, and nice all at the same time :) I don’t have any really good stories but I did mow some lady’s lawn! She said this might be weird because I just met you but I’m a good cook. I’m going to call you and you’re going to come over and eat when my husband gets back from Afghanistan next week. So I’m looking forward to that even though she said her husband will most likely pressure me into wrestling him and they say they cuss like sailors. She took a picture of us after we mowed her lawn and put it up on facebook. She said she was going to tag me in it so I guess I’ll see it when i get home haha ; ) She is way nice and I’m excited to go and try to share the gospel with her a little bit. We’ll see how it goes. I’m glad Sis. Reynolds likes my letters! I love hers too! And over 900 hits on my blog? What the freak are people doing with their lives to have time to look at that thing? Probably 850 of them are Jackie though haha and the rest are you, so no biggie.

Well I gots to go and sorry this letter is all over the place but it’s hard to concentrate in this library. Construction going on and my mind is already all over the place. I’m just excited to go buy food because for the last 4 days I’ve been eating nutella, bread, and water.....over it and ready to get food haha. Elder Holley just eats junk food and I’m not down to get fat!

I love you and have a great week! I did get the collage by the way, and I loved it. Made me smile a little bit and got me in a good mood :) Well, have a good day and stay safe driving to Utah!

Peace out, Elder Oppenlander

No comments:

Post a Comment