Monday, January 28, 2013

Lauren's Birthday


Oppenlanders,

Dad is 100% right about not living in Utah....who would want to have to struggle with all of that snow all winter long haha. I’m good in California having to put on a sweater every once in a while. Sounds like y’all’s drive up to Logan was ‘vewy vewy twechewous’. Haha what movie is that from?? I don’t remember any more. But I am glad that y’all made it up safe and were able to enjoy some snow fun with the family. I’m guessing by snow angels Mom meant she fell down?? Hahaha. I wish I could have seen that! And are y’all staying in a hotel up there, or with Uncle Rick? And I don’t remember any of your family, mom haha. I don’t remember cousin Laurie or Tanis or any of those ones haha. I remember Tanis or somebody stayed at our house, but i have no idea what she looks like. I need to meet them again.
And yeah, Gma Betty always had on the craziest jewelry. I have that picture of her and me in front of the truck the day we bought it, and she has this huge rectangular piece of jewelry on her jacket. I forget what it is called, but yeah...I have no idea why she liked those hahaha. How has it been to be up in Utah? That is good that a lot of the family is going to get together. I’m missing out on that one for sure. And it was great talking to y’all Friday!
The Nicole’s baptism went beautifully, and we had tons of people come out and support her. She was very happy and I’ll send some pictures for sure. And right now our teaching pool is drying up, so we need to fill it back up ASAP. We have tons of potential investigators, but no one that is very promising at the moment. We are trying to work with members more, because there are always opportunities to teach their family or friends. So pray that we can find some more prepared people! They are out there; we just need to find them all. :)
How did Lauren and Becka enjoy spending time with one another? They aren’t very much alike haha. But I’m sure they get along fine. What movie did they see? And what is Lauren gonna do today for her birthday??? Big 23. I can’t believe she is such an oldy. All of y’all are old...goodness gracious. I’m glad I’m still a youngster! I don’t want to get old too fast. Life is already flying by. It needs to just slow down for a second and let me catch my breath. I’m learning how to keep up and how to enjoy it but I still just want to be lazy every once in a while but I don’t have any time to be. It’s a good life skill to learn though. How to be busy and to be happily busy. I’m glad that I came on my mission for sure. Especially with Gma passing away. I know so much about the plan that God has for us so there is no need to worry or be depressed. Knowledge is power and I’m glad that it has all been restored so I can enjoy the comfort it brings. As I was reading the Book of Mormon this week, one thing really stuck out to me. In all the instances when a prophet was about to die, they were always positive about it. Like the last verses in Enos and Moroni, they both talk about going to rest with their Redeemer and they both look forward to the day when they will be resurrected and live with God. There is no fear, sorrow, or anger. It’s all faith and joy. So that is how I have learned to be around death. I feel like I’m kinda weird because I don’t get sad, but I know that there is more, so there is no need to be. It’s a part of life and it’s not even a negative part of life for me. I’m gonna miss making fun of Gma at El Burrito Jr. when she eats guacamole, but I’m not going to miss her waking me up singing "a birdy with a yellow bill, hopped up on my window sill, cocked his shiny eye and said "aren’t you shamed you sleepy head"..." haha. But I’m going to for sure sing that to my grandchildren one day, so Gma's memory can live on :) I am very glad for the gospel, and y’all should be too. Don’t let you missing Gma distract you from what is really going on. She is moving forward and enjoying the rest promised us in the scriptures. Thank Heavenly Father that our family will be eternal and we WILL be with her again. That’s all I gotta say about that haha.
I love y’all very much, and I hope that you know that. I will continue to pray for you, and please do the same for me. I only got 4-ish months left to do some work. So I need all the energy I can get. Have a great week and I will look forward to hearing from y’all soon.
Love,
Elder Oppenlander :)

No comments:

Post a Comment