Sister Reynolds,
I’m glad to hear all is well back home in the Los Alamitos Ward. Sounds like ya’ll had an awesome weekend --- rain storm, power outage and a great church meeting. What more can you ask for than a weekend full of learning! Learning about being more prepared, learning about the effects (positive effects) 9/11 had on people, and some spiritual learning at church. That’s all I’ve really been doing out here haha. Learning how to be a better missionary by loving the people and the gospel. Just like Dylan said, if you don’t love the people, you won’t be a very effective missionary. Also, just like those 9/11 people said, I’ve been learning what is really important and what I want out of life. As a missionary, I have a very unique opportunity to see into many peoples’ homes and lives. I see how much the gospel, as we live it, really does bless our lives. I see how important and sacred celestial marriages are. I see how being strong in the gospel will bring my family closer together and give them more opportunities for success. I’m so grateful for the restored gospel and for having the Priesthood and opportunities throughout my whole life to be an example to others and serve them.
My mission has already been so productive for me; I can’t wait to learn even more! One of the biggest things I’ve learned so far is that I’m a lot more capable and influential than I give myself credit for. I have a really hard time patting myself on the back and saying ‘good job’, or taking compliments from others. I’m so hard on myself and always get down on myself for not being better. So when people compliment me, it’s hard for me to accept it. But by being around other missionaries and people, I have seen that I really am a good guy. People aren’t just saying it to be nice. I still have much to improve on, but just seeing that I am a good missionary and person has helped me get a better attitude and drive to be the best me and not just good. I can really see my role in the Lord’s work and do my best to help the work, and not hinder it. So mostly, my focus is on continuing to learn and improve. I know that if I keep that mind set my whole mission, I will grow as a person and have no regrets when I return home. I love my mission and wouldn’t trade it for the world. I love Mississippi, the people and the weather. I have no complaints, besides not having enough people to teach. But that’s my job to go out and find them, so wish me luck!
I hope ya’ll have a wonderful week and I’m so thankful for all of the support and love you show me. I love all of the quotes and clippings you send. Keep it up! Ya’ll are great examples to me and I hope I can make an impact on peoples’ lives the way you have on me.
I love the gospel and this opportunity I have to be out here serving the Lord. I’m going to make the most of it! Stay safe out there in California! Tell the ward I love them!
Love,
Elder Oppenlander
No comments:
Post a Comment