Mom & Dad,
My Easter was amazing!! I got fed a ton! Elder Taggart and I went down to Demopolis to work over the weekend, and it was probably my favorite weekend on my mission. It was just something new and exciting. I felt like an old school missionary haha. And I’ve been out 300 days? Shoot, that’s pretty long haha. But yeah, Demopolis was amazing. We got there Saturday morning for the branch’s Easter party. That was pretty fun, then we took the branch membership roster and started visiting less active members...Demopolis has a ton of those. We went to Bro. Beach’s house and he was outside drinking beer with a bunch of friends and having a crawfish boil .... :) So needless to say, I got some crawfish for the first time in my life! They cooked it with corn, sausage, and potatoes and it was so good. Eating the crawfish was kind of sketchy, but it was so good. All spicy and the corn tasted spicy too. You crack the crawfish in half, "suck the head" aka suck all the brain and juice out :), then peel the tail and eat it up. It was bueno! Bro. Beach says he wants to get back into church and get his 3 kids and wife baptized. So we have a meeting with them this Thursday. From now on we'll be spending 3-4 days a week down in Demopolis. So pretty much I have 2 areas. It’s so fun. I cover like hundreds of miles haha. Then for Saturday night, we went to a campsite a member was staying at with his family. They cooked us tinfoil dinners and s’mores. It was so fun to teach them around a campfire and enjoy the Alabamian outdoors. Oh!! And I had a tick on my hand --- it didn’t bite me, but it was crawling on me and skeered (Southern for ‘scared’) me so good. I thought I had like thousands on me afterwards. It was horrible. But that’s what you get for driving down a dirt road to check out an old Baptist church haha. Bugs are everywhere out there. But yeah, the way they cook s’mores is so wack. They put it all together, wrap it up in tin foil, and put it on charcoals. It gets super mushy and chocolaty, but it isn’t the same as roasting a marshmallow and squeezing it on there.
Elder Taggart and I planned on just sleeping in the car, or in the church, but when the branch heard that, they wouldn’t have it and got us a hotel room haha. It was such a funny day. Unique experiences for sure. It was so fun!! Then on Easter Sunday we went to church, they brought us lunch, and then we visited less actives and had a lesson with a part member family. One less active was cooking chicken so I got some more free food, and the Smith family cooked us smoked chicken, corn, potatoes, and bread. I ate like a king this weekend haha! Man, I can’t get over how as we just went out, we got taken care of. D&C 84:89 is real :) “Whoso receiveth you receiveth me; and the same will feed you, and clothe you, and give you money.”
And some other good news from Alabama is that I’m getting fit. Elder Hardy and Taggart moved in to our apartment and we have been working out like crazy this last week. Also, Elder Konold and I have biked 20+ miles a day. We hit 44 mph going down a hill! It’s the best.
I’m loving being a missionary, and helping people be happier and find more comfort through the gospel. Even though I’m sore all over and my knee pops every time I pedal my bike, I love it! That was my Easter. It was good but not like Easter at home. I did find an Easter egg walking on campus though. Had a Twix bar in it. I haven’t had candy all week though, so I’m not going to give into that. Got to get healthy. Your Easter sounded pretty low key. Just going over to Gma and Gpa’s and spending some time with them. I’m glad your Easter concert went well, and I hope your ear infection gets better! That’s horrible. And Abby is such a weird dog haha! Scared of the wind and wont walk past a bathroom in her own house. I bet Gma loves it though. Abby is great at keeping them busy and making them giggle every once in a while.
That’s good that Dad is enjoying his class. Keeping him pretty busy nowadays with school, hockey games, and all that. So you’re not too bored, I take it? Dad fixed Jackie’s tire? How did he do that? Just glue it or something? I didn’t know Dad was an expert tire fixer...and no, I haven’t written thank you notes yet. I’m horrible at writing people back. P-days are our most busy days it seems like. But today I have the dentist, so I'll try to write them while I’m in the waiting room. Going to get my new crown today.
I still have stamps and blue pills. All is well. And yes mama, I got your Easter package. Thank you so much. I enjoy that talk and the coin thing is sweet! Don’t know what I’m going to do with it, but it’s sweet. Is Lauren graduated yet or what? You told me like 4 weeks ago that she only had 3 weeks left. So is she done?? Fill me in, yo. I hope you’re doing great. And I have 25 minutes left if you can respond. I'll be on lds.org looking something up.
Be easy,
Elder Oppenlander
No comments:
Post a Comment