Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Staying in Birmingham


Hola familia,
I am staying here in Birmingham and Elder Coleman is leaving! I don’t know if I will still be a zone leader or not...all I know is that I’m getting a new companion. Elder Ingersoll is being trained to be a trainer?? You sure it wasn’t his companion? Because at zone leader’s council I heard the name of all the trainers and his wasn’t one. We will see what happens though. And yeah, the tour of the church by the Lutheran group went great! It was only supposed to be from 7 to 7:30 but it went from 7 to 9:30 haha. President made us late!! But it was so good. President Holzapfel threw down on them and the spirit was really strong. Mostly just talked about our similarities and also our big differences. It was interesting for sure. I taught the group about the gospel of Jesus Christ. It was a good experience. Grandma Betty used to be Lutheran?? That’s cool! Norwegians are where it’s at haha.

AND BECKA IS HOME FROM HER MISSION?? That is so crazy! I bet Jackie is for sure loving it right now! I’m so glad that she has Becka home. They better be enjoying the beach and all that because I’m missing it right now. Someone has got to enjoy it for me. What was it like watching a missionary come home? Did it get you excited for next June? It’s weird watching missionaries go home. It doesn’t ever feel real! Like Elder Hardy, Holley, Konold, Lofthouse, and Taggart are all going home this Wednesday....it’s so weird!! I feel like its really going to sneak up on me. And yeah, Mom better be on her toes when I get home haha. Whoever gets the first hug gets the first hug. Gotta fight for it ...

John is an elder.....no way?! Hahaahaaha what the heck? That is crazy! And the bugs are wild out here in the dirty dirty. Lightning bugs are out again and it classes up the joint big time. Also, there are beetles and spiders everywhere. But I don’t need any bug spray. It’s all good .... love problems, love life ;) and yeah, it’s weird to see all the youngins grow up in the ward. Shalee is going to college?? Nope ... No way. And that is nice that Bishop Holloway asked about me. That was really nice of him. And you had the Corotans over for carnitas?? I haven’t had carnitas in a minute! I miss that...do you think the Costco here would have that? I might need to have someone make a Costco run for me :) And that’s sad that Gpa Corotan passed away. But the burial in Hawaii should be nice. Paradise right there for sure.

And I knew that the “Called to Serve” slide show would be huge. Parents love seeing their cute lil kids up in front of everyone. Was I the best looking?>? ;) I sure hope so!! Can’t be looking half good up in front of the whole stake.

And finish the bathroom already! Geez, come on mom!! What are you doing back home?? But seriously send me some pictures when it’s done! That’s exciting news that the toilet works and that everything is getting finished up. Who was the first one to break in the toilet?? Haha.

But yeah, other than what you have already seen on the mission blog this week has pretty normal. I had a baptismal interview to do in Locust Fork and the kid who I interviewed owned a wolf, a huge snapping turtle, and dogs were running around everywhere. It was what I expected all of Alabama would be when I first came out here. I loved it!! Got to pet a wolf and feed a turtle. BOMB! Didn’t take any pictures though....that’s my bad. I'll take the blame for that. And it has been 100 almost all week and today its 68... I don’t get it! Just sweating and doing my thing though. About all I can do in this heat. And it’s only going to get worse!

OH!!! Best story so far, at least in my eyes it is! So we bike to go see a less active family, we go 4 miles in the wrong direction and have to turn around bike 4 miles back to get to their neighborhood. We type in the GPS and it says we have to go another mile and a half, then turn left. So we get to the road and it’s one big hill!! So for a mile and a half we bike up this huge hill!! But needless to say what goes up must come down ;) !!!!!!! Oh my goodness, that was the most fun moment I have ever had on my mission! I was going no joke, 50 miles an hour, for like a minute strait!! And it was at night. Uh-mazing! I wish I could skateboard on my mission because Alabama is perfect for it. But yeah, I just wanted to let you know I am having fun still :) Good times out in Alabama! I’m glad to hear that you are still doing well! Is there anything I can do for y’all? You’ve been great supporting me and I want to say thanks again. This experience is my fav! I love y’all and I hope you have another great week! Look on the  mission blog to see who my new companion is! Aright, I’ll holler at you next week!
Love, Elder Oppenlander

No comments:

Post a Comment